Sunday, July 09, 2006
on friday i turn 33. i'm hoping it will be a good year. the last few haven't been the greatest. not exactly bad, but not great either. i like the way 33 looks though. two 3's seems fortuitous. i know it will mean change because i'm finally initiating some changes. it may be a rocky year, but the changes are much needed and overdue. some of the changes:
1. i quit my comfortable job of over 6 years. (it ends at the end of august.)
2. i am signing up for graphic design classes at the community college. (i don't know that g.d. will be my thing, but i need to just try something different.)
3. i am looking for a totally different part time job (as in one that doesn't involve sitting in front of the computer 8 hours a day).
the good things i will miss about my job (in approx. order of goodness):
1. being able to talk to/have lunch with one of my closest friends who works in a nearby office, and having a "mom away from home"/dear friend as a manager. (these two superstars have made it very hard to leave!)
2. working 80% time with fridays off
3. having good benefits and vacation (relative to other SF jobs, not to europe with their 5 plus weeks vacation a year!)
4. swimming on my lunch break
5. wearing whatever i want to work
6. riding the free shuttle to/from work
7. meeting interesting people
and in case you're now wondering why i am leaving:
1. job has become mindnumbing
2. job feels relatively meaningless
3. i need a change.
4. lame office politics/inequity/dishonesty
5. i sit in front of a computer all day not doing very creative work.
i'm hoping making these changes, although they may not be the right ones, will remind me that i can handle big changes and inspire more change!