Tuesday, August 01, 2006

book rec



thanks for the encouraging comments on the quilt!

i'm reading a really good book right now, the known world, by edward p. jones. i recommend it (though i'm only halfway through). it is filled with characters who have all kinds of different relationships to slavery. it's crazy how the various characters justify supporting (or passively/ignorantly support) the institution of slavery on one level or in some part of their lives, and then challenge it on other levels or in other parts of their lives. makes me think about what is forgiveable and what is not. makes me think about how most of us have to negotiate interactions/relationships with people we love but who do unjust things or support racist, homophobic, sexist, etc. institutions. more on all this perhaps when i finish the book.

has anyone else out there in crafty artsy bloggerville read the known world?

5 comments:

lisa solomon said...

no, but now i REALLY want to.....

Joy said...

I read it this spring right after I read "Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson. The known world was a simply haunting book.

Bri Ana said...

I haven't read it but... sigh... now the stack of reading beside my bed is destined to grow one book higher... I'm completely enamoured with your reading list on the side bar. You have smashing taste - we should do a book swap sometime...

Love the roses. Your picture completely captures their essence.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read it, but have liked your recommendations in the past, so I am putting it on my list.
I wanted to read so many books this summer before school started, but somehow my reading has been limited to blogs, magazines, and crossword puzzle clues.

Cheers!

SoulPony said...

Haven't read it but sounds like I should. I've been caught up lately with kind of stuff going on in my own community. I'd rather read it than live. I know that.