Wednesday, September 20, 2006

feelin' groovy movie


a pinback album cover

yesterday i was laying in the sun on the floor in my studio listening to pinback and watching the reflections on my ceiling when cars drove by on the street. it was SO groovy and relaxing.

pinback to me is like jane's addiction all mellowed out. their repetitive music is kind of meditative. and these ceiling reflections. you can't get the feel for them that well on the movie because i can't get the whole ceiling in the picture, but they move across from one side to another. like cloud windows passing over.

pinback + reflections movie
if you turn up your volume, you can hear some of the music too. best reflections happen at around 15 seconds.

(sidenote: jane's addiction takes me back to junior year of high school driving around during the lunch break in sarah johnson's parents' old cadillac or buick - one of those big american boat cars with the steering wheel that just spins around and around. sitting 3 to a seat in the front where it's just one long, hot leather seat. it would be some version of sarah, jamie, charlotte, laurel and myself in there. there'd be a lot of cussing and badassness on the part of sarah and jamie. charlotte was pretty badass too, but in a more controlled way. windows down, jane's addiction blasting. as i recall, sarah was a bit of a crazy driver as well. of us nerds, sarah and jamie were probably the most badass/f**k authority of us, though chris cones and i did refuse to say and to stand for the pledge of allegiance {or was it the national anthem?}at graduation. anyway, i still listen to and love jane's addiction, especially when i want to get in touch with the high school angst-filled rebel in me.)

4 comments:

lisa solomon said...

i saw janes addiction for free at a field at UC santa barbara when i was in highschool... definitely the soundtrack for highschool angst antics....

you are taking me back.....

Anya said...

I love the badass memories from high school... I feel like I missed out on those lunchtime drives... ah well. We have each other now! ; )

Anonymous said...

I love Pinback. And Jane's A. reminds me of lying on my futon in the corner, crying, on the last day of college because all my friends went to see Jane's A. at the Col Ballroom in Davenport and I had to stay in my studio apartment with my parents (who had come up for some school-related function and who were ignoring me, watching my tiny B&W TV, and smoking). And then later after my parents fell asleep I went out to the party where everyone was after the show, talking about how kick-ass the show was, and I cried again because I missed it. Good times, good times.

Anonymous said...

We seem to have musical and literary tastes in common. I had heard of Pinback but never really bothered to sit and listen. I decided to run out and purchase their music the day I happened upon your blog (9/23). The same day I stumbled upon this band and thought you might enjoy them -- Heartless Bastards. Plus, you've got to love the name! Thanks!